The birth of a child is one of the most important events a family can experience, so we are very glad that you want to get to know us!
We welcome more than 700 babies a year at the Family Birth Center. Our staff has an excellent passion for labor and delivery and caring for babies! Their experience, caring, and concern for patients has kept them doing a job that they love.
We are proud of what we do in the Family Birth Center. We believe in giving our patients and their families the personal care and attention they deserve.
The Center's 10 large, private rooms are designed to help support the labor and delivery processes as well as recovery and post-partum care, with added comforts of home.
Other special features of The Family Birth Center include:
- Brand new equipment and furniture, including peanut birthing balls, new plush beds and state-of-the-art delivery beds
- Brand new Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) that has private suites for babies
- Brand new Well-Baby Nursery, with a private, adjoining room for the mother
- Two triage areas for emergent care, eliminating the need for patients to go to the emergency room
- Secured, single entrance and an infant security system;
- Easy access to the hospital gift shop and cafeteria.
The Family Birth Center also offers:
Breastfeeding support group
Our nursing staff introduces the new mother to the natural process of breastfeeding. We have a Lactation consultant available if the new mother may need assistance.
A community support group provides ongoing information.
We ask that your family members and visitors come to see you between 7am and 9pm. The doors are locked after 9pm and we only allow family after that time. We feel it is important for our patients and their families to get their rest for optimal healing.
When you visit the Family Birth Center you will see a number of video cameras throughout the department. These cameras monitor the entire unit. All exits have alarms that are activated if someone exits the building. We want our new parents to feel secure that their baby is safe.
The Director of the Family Birth Center is Ranae Riley, RNC-OB (right). Ranae has been a nurse for many years, spending the last 22 with Western Plains. She values your input and feedback, please call the Family Birth Center at 620.225.8472.
Individuals who are interested in learning more or would like to schedule a tour of the new facility may contact the Family Birth Center.